Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Nov 21st, 2014, 7:16pm
News: RE3 beta is released, go download it!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Open/Free Alternative To Platinum Notes? (Read 6107 times)
3calm
YaBB Newbies

Open/Free Alternative To Platinum Notes?
Nov 2nd, 2010, 10:07am

http://www.platinumnotes.com/

What's the best way to do what Platinum Notes does, without forking over what seems like a silly amount of cash for a normalizer.  That said is there something PN does that is more than what MP3gain does?  Am I missing something or is it essentially MP3Gain with an automated preset and a nicer interface?  In any event, some feedback/guidance would be helpful Smiley.  

Cheers!

It's made by the MIK folks.  I much prefer RE3 to MIK, so I'm guessing there is some better alternative to PN as well Smiley.

IP Logged
3calm
YaBB Newbies

Re: Open/Free Alternative To Platinum Notes?
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 8:58am

After reading the the marketing info a bit more I see PN also does some key correction, so it's not JUST a normalizer.  But the clipping and db correction aspect certainly seem to be.

IP Logged
3calm
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2010, 9:41am

For any Linux users out there here's the command I ran to set my entire collection to 91db.

find . -name *.mp3 -exec mp3gain -r -c -d 2 {} \;

Run that from the root dir of your collection and wait while it goes through.  It doesn't do any key correction and ignores any clipping warnings (it's fairly conservative with it's clipping warnings and I've had no issues with my vast dubstep collection).  An explanation of the command is as follows:

find . -name *mp3
-This part finds all the mp3s in this folder and sub folders

-exec mp3gain
-This part tells the OS to run mp3gain each time it finds a file

-r -c -d 2
-These mp3gain flags do the following: -r sets the gain to 89db (default) -c ignores the clipping warnings -d 2 bumps the db by 2 making it 91db

{} \;
-The {} is the filename the find command returns an \; terminates the command

It's not PN, but it's free and does the part I needed PN to do.  Key correction would be nice, but beggars can't be choosers.  Mac and PC users can also find easyMP3 at

http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/AudioTron/MacMP3Gain/ for the Mac, (an Aqua GUI for the command line tool)
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ for PC
Most Linux distros will already have it in their package manager.  If not the source is also available at the sourceforge link, so just follow the instructions.

I run Ubuntu so I can't help any of you Mac/PC guys other than point you in the right direction, sorry.

Cheers,
3C

edit: forgot the -name argument

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:36pm by 3calm »  
  IP Logged
bennypole
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:55am

I can only guess it reads into the track, frequencies of certain parts perhaps, and if some lacks here and there it fixes it up!

As for breakdowns, i can only assume it would adjust volume of it as compared to levels of the peaks, not loudening them as a whole, IMO

def something to ask yakov or someone on the mixed in key forums, it may be there already, i cant remember!

Mixed In Key - Harmonic Mixing DJ Software Wink

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print